Step 1: VPS Server
Get yourself a VPS (Virtual Private Server) with a minimal of 4GB RAM or recommended 8GB. (For example: https://contabo.com/?show=configurator&vserver_id=221)
- Choose your OS (I did choose for Ubuntu 18.04)
- Pay the first month and the VPS will be prepared for you
- After a while you will receive an email with your login information
Step 2: Login on your VPS
- Download & install putty (https://www.putty.org/).
- Open Putty and specify you IP Address + port 22 (SSH)
- Click on open
- Now you get a message to login. Login with the credentials that you get in the email.
Mostly something like (root) (password)
- After logging in you are in your machine.
Step 3: Get & Run the Script
The Script will do all the work for you.
At the beginning you need to fill in some information and after that it will take around 30 min (tested on my own VPS) before it runs.
- Go to https://github.com/sanderwaves/wavesassist/blob/master/installation_wavesnode
- Copy all the lines in the file (this is just the easiest way)
- Go to your VPS and make a new file
- Paste in all the lines that we have copied from the Github website (right mouse click = paste)
- Save the file and exit (CTRL+S , CTRL+X)
- Make the file executable
chmod u+x installation_script
- Run the script
Step 4: Installation
Now it will ask some information before the installation can proceed:
- Port number = SSH port (default of 22 will be changed to the one you specify)
- Username = There will be a new user created where you need to login with. Root user will be disabled to login with from remote access. So this means you need to login with the new user and after that you can login to the root account.
- Version = Go to: https://github.com/wavesplatform/Waves/releases/ and have a look which version you would like to install. Fill in the version like for example “1.1.3” or “1.0.2”. Don’t forget the dots!
- Seed = The seed from the wallet you using for the lease node. I recommend not using your own private wallet, so create a new wallet for it!
- Node name = The name of your node.
- IP address = The IP address of your node.
- Wallet Password = The password that will be used to encrypt your wallet.dat file on the system.
After you provided this information, the installation will ask some more things during the installation like the password of the new account, a password reset of the root account etc.. This will be explained during the installation!
Step 5: Installation complete
When you see the following in your screen, it means the installation is successfully completed. Your node is running!
Step 6: Recap
- The node is running and you can lease your waves to your own node right now.
- API is not turned on
- There is no voting defined (for block rewards or new feature for example)
- Configuration is very limited
- There is no pay-out script configured
Questions or need help ?
I hope this manual was clear and easy to understand and of course we hope you complete the installation without any problems!
If you have any questions or need any help, contact us and we will help you out!
For those who liked the guide, I would love to get a small portion of your waves leasing to WavesAssist node.